webcam and fc8 troubleshooting

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Mon Feb 18 02:59:41 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:31:12 +1000
> Brian Chadwick <brianchad at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>> i would have thought that provided the modules are in the correct place
>> that the kernel would be able to load them automatically.
>>

> Is uvcvideo included in fedora these days? I've been building it
> myself for a long time now, so I might not have noticed it getting
> included :-).

not yet.  Update:  on the PAE kernel, the video is all set.  I can use:
ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -s 320x240 -r 5 -i /dev/video0 -f m4v out.m4v

to create suitable video file.  For audio, I can start Audacity
recording, start ffmpeg command, and then edit audio file.  I will now
find a suitable command to combine and sync audio file with video file.
This is klutzy, but should make for backup approach, until I figure out
how to manually load module, uvcvideo.ko and achieve success for sound.
Tom