Network Mangler assigns other IP to eth0??

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Feb 18 15:20:18 UTC 2008

On Mon February 18 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
> My eth0 interface keeps injecting this IP address
> whois 169.254.136.49
> [Querying whois.arin.net]
> [whois.arin.net]
>
> OrgName:    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
> OrgID:      IANA
> Address:    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
> City:       Marina del Rey
> StateProv:  CA
> PostalCode: 90292-6695
> Country:    US
>
> I have my modem (ppp0) set to use dhcp and my ethernet card set to
> static IP: 192.168.1.101, using network manager, but the SOB keeps
> reverting eth0 back to 169.254.136.49. What's with that???
>
> I have no clue, but it's annoying as all hell because I have a local net
> with drive mounts to and from my other machines. Looks like some
> hand-edits are in order. Best suggestions? Ric

Forget that lookup you did. 169.254........ addresses are link-local addresses
used by zeroconf to assign an address when the device is set to use DHCP to
get an address, but no DHCP server is available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

I can't speak to your setup, but, it sounds like your DHCP server is not
coming up before your card is attempting to be assigned an address.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA