slow (s-l-o-w) install

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 18 18:05:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:44:43 -0500
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Looking at your mtrr output, reg5 and reg6 seem to point to the missing
> memory, but it's not being used. I'm just not enough of a memory
> hardware expert to quite understand what's happening.

I managed to find some discussion of this issue (or one very much like it) on
lkml.org.  It sounds like this is a common problem on certain Intel
motherboards, and it sounds like this is known to Intel as well.

I guess there's no fix for it at the moment, other than feeding the kernel a
mem= parameter on boot.