Webcam, dev/video ?

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:21:54 UTC 2008

2008/2/18, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>:

> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > I have a Logitech so-called "Webcam" that works with Windows XP but has
> > never worked with any Fedora version I've tried.  Apparently it requires
> > a driver gspcav and an application "v4l" both of which I have installed
> > via yumex on an F-8 system.
> >
> > The problem always seems to be that there is no /dev/video0 when tried
> > with programs like camE, vlc, and ekiga.
> >
> > lsusb shows it as:
> > Bus 002 Device oo2: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
> >
> > I don't really need the camera but I have it and would like to make it
> > work.
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> is the module loaded?  If so, what does it log to /var/log/messages when
> it loads?
>
> > Bob Goodwin
> >

> --
> Kevin J. Cummings
> kjchome at rcn.com
> cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
> cummings at kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
>
> --

2008/2/17, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com>:- Nascondi testo tra
virgolette -

> Antonio M wrote:
> > I have this old webcam and I tried to make it work.
> >
> > So I installed:
> > akmod-qc-usb
> > kmod-qc-usb
> > qc-usb
> > kmod-qc-usb-2.xxxx.xxxx (i Think that it is created...)
> >
> > When I fire up the computer I get :
> >
> > Checking if all kmods for kernel xxxxxx exists (Failed)
> > and then ignoring of inserting qc-usb-kmod in kernel.
> >
> > Am I missing something in akmod, kmod, management???
>
> If the akmod build fails the first time it gets ignored afterward for that
> kernel, I'm not sure how long or if it is ever tried again by
> default.  You can
> build it yourself with akmodbuild, then install the rpm created, and that
> should
> allow it to load when akmodsd starts up (the kernel module will be found).
>
> You can look into /var/cache/akmodsd/ for the log file and where the built
> rpms
> are stored.
>
> --
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
>   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 fingerprint CDEC 6FAD BA27 40DF 707E A2E0 F0F6 E622 C99B
> 1DF3
> No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel
> Geer
> ----
> ----
>
> --

Have a look at the message that I e-mailed yesterday to the rawhide list:
QUOTE

I am confused . I get errors at boot-time but

In Dmesg I find....

Linux video capture interface: v2.00
quickcam: QuickCam USB camera found (driver version QuickCam USB
0.6.6$Date: 2006/11/04 08:38:14 $)
quickcam: Kernel:2.6.25-0.40.rc1.git2.fc9 bus:4 class:FF subclass:FF
vendor:046D product:0840
quickcam: Sensor PB-0100/0101 detected
quickcam: Registered device: /dev/video0
usbcore: registered new interface driver quickcam

in lsmod:

quickcam               68780  0

in lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express

So webcam should work as /dev/video0.
When I fire Skype in the video option I have no choice for any webcam.
END OF QUOTE

Anyone can comment it???

Tnx
--