Jigdo instructions, please

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:19:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 9:59 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> It is probably possible to put together the necessary information
> from the sources you quote - I shall try it this evening -
> but I still don't find it very lucid.
> I actually read - or scanned through - the whole article,
> and deduced, probably wrongly, that I would have to edit
> a .jigdo file.
>
> If as you seem to say it is easy for anyone to follow,
> I would be interested to know how many people have done so.
>
> This is my philosphy:
> Jigdo is an alternative to running "yum update".
> The latter takes 1 brain cell, and 2 hours of my computer's time.
> Using jigdo has taken 100,000 of my brain cells so far,
> and will probably take 15 minutes to run when I get it running.
> Present rate of exchange: 1 brain cell = 1 hour computer time.

Ok, unless I am very mistaken as to what jigdo is, which I doubt,
you're making this wayy harder than it is.

First of all, jigdo has almost nothing to do with yum, and nothing to
do with yum update. Jigdo just makes use of the same resources (repos)
that yum does.

Not sure what you were doing that required 100,000 brain cells.

1. check if you have jigdo
2. if you do, go to step 4
3. `yum install jigdo` or use yum GUI of preference
4. download *.jigdo file(s) which you want to use
5. "run" jigdo file using `jigdo-lite foo.jigdo`
6. choose options as necessary
7. get resulting iso(s)

for more advanced operation:
http://fedorasolved.org/post-install-solutions/jigdo/