problem with permissions of usb key

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Feb 19 17:43:19 UTC 2008

Tom Holroyd wrote:
> I see, thanks. So I need to grab them and start talking on the link to
> keep it alive. I see a bunch of /dev/usbdevN.M_ep[08][01] files. N
> depends on the socket, I think, and M increments, so it's a bit
> unpredictable. The files are owned by root, and nothing seems to start
> up to take care of them. Who would normally do that? Also I see like 5
> of those files, and no clue which one to use. It used to be,
> that /dev/ttyUSB[01] was created, and the one to use was 0. I would just
> run pilot-xfer at the appropriate moment. I could still do that, if the
> files were owned by me. It seems like I could change the files
> in /etc/udev, but they all say not to change them!

You may want to take a look in the /usr/share/pilot-link/ directory.
60-pilot.rules is udev rules.
60-pilot.perms are console.perms rules to handle permissions.

Copy them to:
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-pilot.rules
/etc/security/console.perms.d/60-pilot.perms

You can then use /dev/pilot instead of /dev/ttyUSB0.

Mikkel
--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?