Jigdo instructions, please

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Feb 19 18:03:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, David Boles wrote:

> BTW I made the 20080204 Fedora i386 CD set by using the updated
> 20080204 Fedora-Unity DVD as my package source. Jigdo downloaded
> nothing but the templates for the CDs and took all of the rpm
> packages from the DVD. That was interesting to watch.

i guess that shouldn't surprise anyone -- the packages should be
exactly the same, with perhaps some anaconda-related stuff being
different, if at all.

> ~From the way it reads Jigdo can also be used to make a Fedora 7
> into a Fedora 8.

and why not?  in a nutshell (as i understand it), when you want to
create a new DVD, you have to grab the appropriate template file,
which has a detailed list of precisely what packages the process
needs.  where those packages come from isn't relevant.

as an extreme example, you can always create an F8 DVD from, say, an
F4 DVD -- it just won't save you much time since i'm guessing it will
find almost nothing that can be re-used.

> Speaking of which, as I understand it, jigdo will be an option for
> Fedora 9 ISOs.

ooh, excellent.  i must watch for this.

rday

p.s.  david:  pedantically speaking :-), i would try to avoid using
the phrase "Jigdo can also be used to make a Fedora 7 into a Fedora
8".   technically, you're not "making" anything into anything else,
you're simply constructing a specific DVD version and picking as much
reusable content as you can from somewhere else.

but you knew that.  :-)

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.