Network Mangler assigns other IP to eth0??

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:14:35 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 9:00 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> My eth0 interface keeps injecting this IP address
> whois 169.254.136.49
> [Querying whois.arin.net]
> [whois.arin.net]
>
> OrgName:    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
> OrgID:      IANA
> Address:    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
> City:       Marina del Rey
> StateProv:  CA
> PostalCode: 90292-6695
> Country:    US
>
> I have my modem (ppp0) set to use dhcp and my ethernet card set to
> static IP: 192.168.1.101, using network manager, but the SOB keeps
> reverting eth0 back to 169.254.136.49. What's with that???
>
> I have no clue, but it's annoying as all hell because I have a local net
> with drive mounts to and from my other machines. Looks like some
> hand-edits are in order. Best suggestions? Ric

I had this happen to me in FC6. It happened at a very crucial time for
me, and I was so pissed I turned it off and never bothered with it
again -- so it's partly my fault as I didn't file a bug.

It basically ignored the IP it got via DHCP, and set it's own
169.*.*.* IP, quite possibly exactly the one you mentioned. There were
no associated error messages, I only noticed this was what was
happening through useful messages to /var/log/messages.

( www.pembo13.com )