I defeated the evil Gnome!

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Feb 20 00:26:17 UTC 2008

Every single time I'd connect to my system remotely via VNC,
the next time I'd login on the real console X session, I'd get
this annoying popup which says:

The X system keyboard settings differ from your current GNOME
keyboard settings.

I've finally managed to defeat this popup (1 down, 47,321,257
more to go :-).

I put this in my ~/.xsession file before it starts
gnome-settings-daemon:

/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --recursive-unset \
  /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd.sysbackup

I still have no idea why running VNC causes this key to spring
into existence, or why the settings don't always default to the X
settings (since the documentation for the other keys near this
one implies that always using X is what the system will do).

If I could begin to imagine if this is even a bug and further
imagine if it is a bug in vncserver or gnome or X, I suppose
I'd submit a bugzilla, but since I have finally squashed it,
I'm content with my solution - I won't strain my brain any
more trying to decide what category the bug should get :-).