Disable pendrive

arunbkn at aol.in arunbkn at aol.in
Wed Feb 20 07:40:08 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: David C. Chipman <dchipman at ican.net>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Sent: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:00 am
Subject: Re: Disable pendrive

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:52:35 -0500
arunbkn at aol.in wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> How can i disable the usb port(s) of our clients to use mass storage
> media (pen drives), where they (usb ports) should be working for
> printer and other uses.
>
> regards
>
> Arun

> You are invited to Get a Free AOL Email ID. - http://webmail.aol.in

    Hi Arun,

        It sounds like you have an interesting problem. Did you
consider deleting the usb-storage kernel module? On my currently running
kernel ("2.6.23.15-137.fc8", in my case), it can be found at:

/lib/modules/2.6.23.15-137.fc8/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko

    If you want to make sure it doesn't show up at all, you might
set up a "search-and-destroy" in your /etc/rc.local file. Something
like this (PLEASE NOTE: This code has NOT been tested!):

---8<--Cut here--8<---
if [ -f /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko ]
then
    rm -f /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko
    logger Removed USB Storage Kernel module
fi
---8<--Cut here--8<---

    Another solution would involve you recompiling kernels, and removing
support for USB storage devices from the built kernel yourself. Later,

        -David Chipman

Dear David,
It seems too techinal. Actually I am going to plant linux PCs in the forest of windows, where all the windows PC's USB ports are blocked for any storage devices, but printers are allowed. Now with Linux PC there with open USB port for pendrive would be an easy gateway for viruses and will easily reach to windows. I am currently not in position to change all pcs to linux, where as I am seeding linux within windows. hope you would have understood my problem

Arun