command line sms tool

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Feb 20 18:20:29 UTC 2008

Pete Huckelba wrote:
> Andrew Kelly wrote:
>>
>> Hi y'all,
>>
>> can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
>> cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
>> half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.
>> Help much appreciated.
>>
>> Andy

> ATT/Cingular: phonenumber at txt.att.net
> T-Mobile: phonenumber at tmomail.net
> Virgin Mobile: phonenumber at vmobl.com
> Sprint: phonenumber at messaging.sprintpcs.com
> Verizon: phonenumber at vtext.com
> Nextel: phonenumber at messaging.nextel.com
>
> where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
>
> Try something like:
>
> echo "my sms message" | mutt 1234567890 at txt.att.net
>
> -Pete

Nah it's really even easier than that (at least for Verizon).  Use mail
to send a message like 'mail -s "Subject" <number>@vtext.com <
somefilehere.txt'.

This will get you a text with a certain subject line and will include
the contents of somefilehere.txt into the text message.  That's exactly
how we monitor every single device we have in the company I work for and
it works just fine.  I will say Verizon's text delivery can be spotty,
but that might just be because I live in the ass end of nowhere in NC.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support