Best solution for mail server?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 20 22:50:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 15:25 +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:
> The .fetchmailrc files is now in users home dirs. They are owned by
> root, and they contain passwords.
> Should I change owners of the files and put passwords somewhere else?

I can't see any reason why you'd want them owned by root.  The users
know their own passwords (or should do).  The users can still replace a
root-owned file in their own homespace.  Fetchmail doesn't need them
owned by root, and I don't know if that might cause a problem by itself.

> About what you said about primes, I don't follow.

The poll times is the number of seconds between polls.  If you set them
all at 8 minutes, for example, then all your mail polling would happen
at the same time (barring server delays, etc.).  If you had a lot of
users, that might be a heavy workload (or a real pain over slow dialup,
as your mail polling swamps your bandwidth).  If you set them with
different poll time values, then they'd usually poll separately, but at
some stage they might poll at the same time as their time periods
overlap.  That shouldn't happen with primes, as they're not multiples of
other numbers.

> if polls happen every 11 and 13 minute they will crash every 11x13
> min.

What's crashing?

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.