Best solution for mail server?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 20 23:49:02 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> I can't see any reason why you'd want them owned by root.  The users
>> know their own passwords (or should do).  The users can still replace a
>> root-owned file in their own homespace.  Fetchmail doesn't need them
>> owned by root, and I don't know if that might cause a problem by itself.

Henning Larsen:
> I changed ownership of the files and that worked better.
> I am not paranoid, but want to do things right, considering the
> passwords in plaintext inside the users .fetchmailrc files?

Users can read their own files, set their own passwords, etc.  There's
no point in hiding them from themselves.  If something else manages to
read their files, that's a different security problem.

Mine's permissions are set as "-rw-------".

> But sticking to primes seems like the way to go.... as long as the not
> are 7 all of them :)

Yes, well, obviously whatever you pick, you'd pick different values per
user...  ;-)

> one more/other thing, i have an old 466mhz width 384MB ram I will setup
> as a server, I consider centos and debian, which one would you
> recommend?

I haven't played with Debian, so I can't advise anything about it.  But
I'd recommend CentOS over Fedora for a server.  It's a right pain to
update servers, and keep things working.  The much-longer lifespan of
CentOS (against Fedora) minimises how often you have to do that.

I'd probably install it without X, with such low specs.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.