modprobe -r module doesn't work on FC8

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Feb 21 00:45:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 15:54 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Tom Poe wrote:
> > What command(s) to use to remove and install modules on FC8?  here's the
> > quote I'm trying to understand:
> > "The webcam audio interface must be initialised before the video
> > interface. Linux will by default initialise the video interface first,
> > so you need to remove the uvcvideo.ko module from the /lib/modules
> > subdirectory where it gets loaded automatically, and load it manually
> > after plugging the webcam."
> >
> I usually use rmmod, but I think it uses the same mechanism, so I would
> expect the same result.

Look at "lsmod" and verify that uvcvideo has a "use count" of 0, or you
won't be able to "rmmod" or "modprobe -r" it.  Modules can only be
removed if they aren't in use by another module.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -