mysterious process scsi_eh_5

Tomasz Torcz tomek at crocom.com.pl
Thu Feb 21 08:47:16 UTC 2008

Dnia 20-02-2008, śro o godzinie 10:40 -1000, Dave Burns pisze:
> When I do ps -ef, I see a mysterious process:
>
> ps -ef|grep scsi_eh_5
> root     31004    11  0 09:29 ?        00:00:00 [scsi_eh_5]
>
> How do I figure out what is really running, what rpm its from, etc.?
> What do the brackets [...] indicate?

 "ps" prints brackets when process arguments are not available to read.
This is typical for kernel threads. scsi_eh_5 is a kernel thread, a SCSI
Error Handler. It is spawned for each SCSI host in computer (there
should be EH thread for each /sys/class/scsi_host/* )

> I suspect this has to do with a USB drive I have plugged in (because I
> have no scsi anything).

 Probably yes. USB Mass Storage uses various SCSI command sets. Just
like SATA, FC.

--
Tomasz Torcz