yum-fastestmirror by default .. no? .. why?

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Thu Feb 21 17:10:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 23:23 +0000, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Izhar Firdaus wrote:
> > why yum-fastestmirror is not installed by default ?
> >
> > this might have been discussed before, but my keywords selection cant
> > find it ..
> >
> > can anybody enlighten me ?
> >

> For me when I've used it in the past it seemed to spend more time
> figuring out which mirror was the fastest when I could have had the rpms
> downloaded already. I have no empirical evidence for that though.
>
> --
> Ian Chapman.

I've always thought it moved fairly fast.  This output is while I'm at
work, and the mirror that it uses never changes (1Gb connection to this
mirror), but it still has to pull the info from some sort of DB ("cached
hostfile") and possibly test the mirror to make sure it's still valid.
While I'm at home the mirror may change a little bit, but I think it's
mostly due to it being a DSL line and therefore slow.

$ time sudo yum update
 * livna: livna.cat.pdx.edu
 * fedora: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

real    0m4.213s
user    0m3.270s
sys     0m0.338s

I do think the fastestmirror plug-in adds value; if people are
experiencing delay directly caused by the plug-in, perhaps there are
some optimisations that can be done.

--Tim
/ Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined. \
\                 -- Samuel Goldwyn                                  /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )