How to mount 'virtual' file systems /proc and /sys ??

Robinson Tiemuqinke hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 19:31:15 UTC 2008

Hello,

 I am setting chrooted environments with Centos/Fedora
Core distros recently. packages are installed in the
chrooted environment without problems.

Then when it comes to /proc and /sys 'virtual'(not
real hardware) file systems I got confused -- some
documents say I should run 'mount -t proc none /proc;
mount -t sysfs none /sys' to mount /proc and /sys,
while some others say commands 'mount -t proc proc
/proc; mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys' instead. I don't
know what is the difference between the source device
name 'none' against 'proc' and 'sysfs'. Any one can
shed a light onto this?

In fact, I tried command 'mount -t proc kidding /proc;
mount -t sysfs kiddingAgain /sys' to successfully
mounted /proc and /sys without explicit problems;
access to /proc/* and /sys/* worked fine as well. Then
what are the purposes of the sourceDevice field for
'virtual' file systems? Thanks.

Please help.