A sound problem one more time.- THE SOLUTION AT LAST (PLEASE NOTE)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Feb 21 20:28:05 UTC 2008

On Monday 18 February 2008 22:40, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 21:25 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > [mcallman at prez tmp]$ rpm -q -a | grep ulse
> > > pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
> > >
> > > [mcallman at prez tmp]$ rpm -q -a | grep audio
> > > gnome-audio-2.0.0-4
> > > portaudio-19-3.fc8
> > > audiofile-devel-0.2.6-7.fc8
> > > jack-audio-connection-kit-0.103.0-5.fc8
> > > pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8
> > > audiofile-0.2.6-7.fc8
> > >
> > > [mcallman at prez tmp]$ cat /etc/asound.conf
> > > pcm.!default {
> > >     type hw
> > >     card 0
> > > }
> > >
> > > ctl.!default {
> > >     type hw
> > >     card 0
> > > }
> > >
> > > pcm.Intel {
> > >      type hw
> > >      card 0
> > > }
> > >
> > > ctl.Intel {
> > >      type hw
> > >      card 0
> > > }
> > >
> > > [mcallman at prez tmp]$ amixer
> > > amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > Is there detailed documentation in an Alsa source that defines what all
> > > goes into asound.conf?  As I've said all along, I'm just looking for
> > > ideas on what to dig into to diagnose and fix this.  I'm not expecting
> > > you all on the list to do the work!
> > >
> > > -- Mark C. Allman
> >
> > Hi Mark. All I've been asking for is a verification that
> > alsa-plugins-pulseaudio is installed. This is the package that can cause
> > problems with the sound working. As of yet you have not verified that the
> > alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package is either installed, or not installed.
> >
> > This should be not to difficult. Yumex should show if the package is
> > installed, or just run rpm -q alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and post back the
> > output.
> >
> > Just a confirmation that alsa-plugins-pulseaudio is installed, or not
> > installed will be enough to progress further on with the problem.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> If you look above at the results from "rpm -q -a | grep audio" you'll
> get your answer.  As you can see, it isn't.
>
> -- Mark C. Allman

Hi Mark. First of all, apologies for harping on about pulseaudio, but it does
seem to be causing problems for some folks. According to synaptic, pulseaudio
is a replacement for Gnomes ESD. Now I don't use Gnome, but KDE. The only
package I had to remove was alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, which also removed
kde-settings-pulseaudio, and this effectively disabled pulseaudio. I did not
remove any of the other packages named "pulseaudio".

Someone else on the list merrily went ahead removing pulseaudio packages,
including pulseaudio-libs (which removed vlc (which he wanted to keep)), and
totally screwed up his F8 install. I'd already told him that he only needed
to remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, but after reinstalling F8, he again went
ahead, admittadly more carefully this time, but removing the pulseaudio
packages all the same (excepting pulseaudio-libs). Then he looked back over
the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio one. IIRC he was using Gnome too.

Now I know absolutely nothing about pulseaudio, apart from how to disable it,
but just wonder, and as you are using Gnome, perhaps you should replace the
pulseaudio packages that you have removed, that is apart from
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio that enables pulseaudio. It's possible that Gnome
relies on some of these pulseaudio packages to have sound working through
Alsa, even though pulseaudio is disabled by the removal of the
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package. Just guessing here.

If you want a list of the pulseaudio packages installed as per a fresh install
of F8, just ask.

Moving on from pulseaudio to alsamixer.

>From one of your previous posts you have no alsamixer on the command line, as
below.
alsamixer:
     [mcallman at prez tmp]$ alsamixer

     alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such
     file or directory
 -- Mark C. Allman

Do you have a file named /etc/alsa/asound.state? This file is used when you
bootup. ? /usr/sbin/alsactrl restore is run and restores the mixer settings
that were saved when you last shutdown. Running alsamixer on the command line
should bring up alsamixer playback settings.

Do you have the package alsa-utils installed? It should have been installed as
part of the F8 install, and includes alsamixer, and a bunch of other stuff.

Regarding /etc/asound.conf. I don't have that file on my F8 install, but
didn't have to run system-config-soundcard to get my sound working, and from
a bit of googling found this entry.
http://pastebin.ca/45042?srch=asound

The first commented out line says the file is created by
system-config-soundcard, but as I've never had to use that command, it's
probably not surprising that I have no /etc/asound.conf.

Moving on now to your /etc/modprobe.conf, and the options for your soundcard.

The guy I've posted to, and is using the same machine as you, but is using
Suse, rather than Fedora. Anyway, this is what he has to say.

Hi Nigel,

> For comparison, this is his output from alsa-info.sh
> http://pastebin.ca/903970

After a quick glance I'm pretty sure your user is kind of semi clever.

I'd bet he had used a Toshiba notebook before and blindly copied some
of that config info over to his Dell.

In particular he uses some utterly stupid modprobe options when loading
his alsa driver. From his alsa-info output:

!!Modprobe options (Sound related)
!!--------------------------------

snd-card-0: index=0
snd-hda-intel: index=0 model=toshiba
snd-usb-audio: index=7

!!Loaded sound module options
!!--------------------------

!!Module: snd_hda_intel
enable : N
id : <NULL>
index : 0
model : toshiba
position_fix : 0
power_save : 0
power_save_controller : Y
probe_mask : -1
single_cmd : N

Just instruct him to remove at least 'model=toshiba' if not all modprobe
options alltogether. I'd bet then his sound will work.

Bbest,
Michael

Now what Michael says is based on that he has sounds working on the the same
machine as you, but using a Suse distro.

I'm still trying to provide help to resolve your problem, and nobody else is
coming in. Be that as it may, it would be nice to resolve your problem.

All the best.

Nigel.