Install to USB External Hard Drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 21 22:33:27 UTC 2008

ottaway4371 at cableone.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to install Fedora 8 to a Seagate 40GB USB external hard
> drive.  I have found the instruction on the Fedora Wiki to install the
> Live Image to a memory stick but I would like to do a regular install in
> such a fashion that I could run Apache from the USB hard drive.  Is this
> possible and could someone point me in the right direction?

Unless they have changed things, you have to do an expert install if
you want to install to a USB hard drive. (At the grub prompt when
booting from the install media, enter "linux expert".)

If you plan on using the BIOS "Boot from USB device" to boot from
the drive, you have to change the default Grub install so it
installs to the MBR on the USB drive, and so that Grub know the the
USB drive will be the first BIOS drive when booting. There is a menu
that lets you do this.

Unless you are planning on booting with the drive always installed,
or are planning to put /boot on your internal drive, do not install
Grub to the MBR of you internal drive. If you do, Grub will not be
able to boot without the USB drive plugged in.

Mikkel