Modem help

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:29:09 UTC 2008

2008/2/22 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:

> max bianco wrote:
> > Can someone point me to a good modem how to? I am trying to setup a
> > dial-in server and I cannot detect my modem but it is listed in lspci.
> > When i run wvdialconf i get no modem detected. I have tried several
> > different modems, lspci lists them but my configuration is obviously
> > lacking somewhere, i have used the setserial command but apparently not
> > correctly. i have read and followed several how to's but none by itself
> > seems complete. Can anyone help by pointing me to a good source for
> > modem config on  Redhat and clones. I know not all modems are compatible
> > so a suggestion for an internal modem that is know to work is also
> > welcome. I have a lot of old internal modems lying around so one is
> > bound to be compatible. I have tried conextant, agere, ESS, and
> > smartlink internal modems. From what I understand I'd have better luck
> > with an external modem but I don't have one lying around so.....
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Max
> >
> Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do. If I am
> reading things right, you want people to be able to dial into your
> machine, and log in (or make a ppp connection). If this is the case,
> you need to configure mgetty for the ports you want. You then need
> to create entries for each line in /etc/inittab. They used to
> include examples in inittab, but they do not any more. There are
> examples in the inittab man page. There is also a fair amount of
> documentation included in the gmetty package.

Yes I want to be able to dial in and access the network. However I am
having  trouble dialing out from my f8 box as it does not detect the modem.
The dial-in server is centos actually but it has the same problem, it cannot
detect the modem that is installed. So I figure these as my first two
hurdles, getting both boxes to recognize that they have modems then setting
up the stuff you suggest with mgetty or do i have to configure mgetty to get
my modem recognized in the first place? The mgetty config would only be
needed on the machine i dial in to right?

Thanks,

Max