Modem help

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 22 22:56:15 UTC 2008

max wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:
>>
>>>                         > --
>>>         Can you post the output of lspci -vv for your modem please?
>>>                 Sean
>>>                 -
>>>
>>> Here you go and  thanks for the help.
>>>

>>> 01:09.0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev
>>> 08)
>>>     Subsystem: Aztech System Ltd Dell Mercury - MDP3880-U(B) Data Fax
>>> Modem
>>>     Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
>>> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Max
>>
>> Isn't this one of those s/w modems?  I think you will need to buy the
>> "conextant" drivers or use the NDIS wrapper with the windows driver.
>>
>> http://www.linuxant.com
>
> I didn't think it was but you maybe right. I read that a great many
> conextant modems were compatible which is why I went with that modem.
> I will have to double check to make sure this one is hardware modem,
> can you tell by looking at the board?what would i look for? Would
> ndiswrapper give me all the functionality i need here? I have a
> somewhat large collection of internal modems at my disposal. Does
> anyone know of an internal modem that is compatible with linux? It
> doesn't have to be red hat based linux , though that is my preference.
> I appreciate the help.
>
> Max

Have we all forgotten The Linux Documentation Project, ha ha! ---->
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/modems.html

For what you are trying to do this is must-read stuff.

I might still have an old external 3Com serial modem that worked in Red
Hat 6+...you might be able to find a similar one on Ebay at a good
price. You can't expect most PCI modems to work. Dialup is pretty Stone
Age though. It is hard for me to imagine someone would be willing to
give up a phone line to a dialup connection any longer, when there are
cheap DSL and cable choices available.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA