Modem help

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 23:29:24 UTC 2008

Sean Bruno wrote:

>>> Isn't this one of those s/w modems?  I think you will need to buy the
>>> "conextant" drivers or use the NDIS wrapper with the windows driver.
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxant.com
>> I didn't think it was but you maybe right. I read that a great many
>> conextant modems were compatible which is why I went with that modem. I
>> will have to double check to make sure this one is hardware modem, can
>> you tell by looking at the board?what would i look for? Would
>> ndiswrapper give me all the functionality i need here? I have a somewhat
>> large collection of internal modems at my disposal. Does anyone know of
>> an internal modem that is compatible with linux? It doesn't have to be
>> red hat based linux , though that is my preference. I appreciate the help.
>>
>> Max
>>
> I think that the easiest way to tell is to visually inspect the board.
> The ones that have a large amount of components, in my experience, are
> h/w modems.
>
> Also, if you put the modem into your box and you can see a TTY appear in
> the boot dmesg(dmesg|grep -i tty), then linux has recognized and
> assigned it to a serial interface and you should be good to go.
>
> Sean

My modem is recognized. It is a different card than before.

  $dmesg | grep -i tty
console [tty0] enabled
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
00:05: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

then :
  $wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<Info>: Device or resource busy
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0
ttyS1<Info>: Device or resource busy
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1
ttyS2<Info>: Device or resource busy
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S2
ttyS3<Info>: Device or resource busy
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S3

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

This is where i got stuck before. I am not using setserial properly. I
can execute the command but i am assigning the wrong values i think but
my syntax is ok or I would get an error from bash. One thing,at least,
is clear, i do not understand the setserial command or what to set the
values to.

Thanks,

Max