Best solution for mail server?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Feb 23 00:17:43 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 13:12 +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:
>> I have .fetchmailrc for all users in /root, and get the message that
>> fetchmail should not be run as root. Where should I put .fetchmailrc
>> and how should I start it, from rc.local? or as a service.
>
> In my rc.local files I have lines like the following (below).  And each
> user has their ~/.fetchmailrc file set for whatever servers their
> accounts will poll.
>
> su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"
> su john -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1200"
> su jane -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1500"
>
> I picked different polling periods so that mail runs will not run at the
> same time as each other (spreading the workload around).  Any user can
> stop their own automatic poll, and restart it, if they want to.

Why would you not just have a single cron job which runs fetchmail
without the -d? I used to just kick off the "poll all" script every 12
minutes.

Ideally you would have all mail for all of your users put to a single
mail account, poll that, and let local mail delivery hand it out.
Clearly that takes cooperation from the server you're polling.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>