roadnav question

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 23 01:08:08 UTC 2008

> Somehow I don't feel like offering any thanks when such roadblocks are
> strewn about.  The ldconfig thing is breaking stuff just to lock us into
> the rpm camp if we're cautious & wanna stick with distro only SW.
> Absolutely NO mention of the new /etc/ld.so.conf.d directory, its usage
> or the 'include' directive which is now the only line in the installed
> /etc/ld.so.conf.  I don't recall it existing in FC6.  Such changes
> should be documented where they can be found with a simple man command
> if you want folks to be aware of them.

I haven't seen anything wrong with ldconfig. You can add paths directly in
ld.so.conf if you wish. Then run ldconfig as root. Or, when you build a package
from source, you can ./configure it with the path set to /usr/ rather than
/usr/local (which is the default in many cases). Then the libraries go
directly into /usr/lib, etc.