Advice for Red Hat/Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 03:00:53 UTC 2008

Henning Larsen wrote:

>>>  Considering the original intent if the project, and all the years that
>>>  have passed since it's inception, I don't think that their achievements
>>>  have been remarkable. I guess KDE and Gnome proved to be too fast moving
>>>  targets to keep up on two fronts.
>>>
>>>  I really wish they had succeeded!
>> Why?
>>
> because it would be nice to install one package if we want one program,
> and remove one package to get rid of that program.
>
> I think you understand that argument.

There are two ways to accomplish that.  One is to use the same shared
libraries as everything else so they will already be there - and will be
more efficient.  But with different projects working independently,
that's not going to happen.

The other way is to link everything statically so it drags along its own
copy of everything it needs.  That's even less efficient than having a
few 'sets' of library toolkits that groups of programs share.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com