RAID10 not working in install

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Feb 23 14:04:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 19:38:14 -0500,
  Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> I was doing a new install (reinstall) of FC8 Unity and when I tried to
> configure the disks and partitions I put a software RAID partition on
> one drive, and another of the same size on the other drive, and then
> told the installer to make them RAID10. I got back a message that at
> least four drives are needed for RAID10.

The installer doesn't let you use all of the modes that mdadm can. It is
sort of a nanny to keep people from picking unusual combinations that
they may not really want.

I have asked for raid 1 to work with 1 element in anaconda several times (as
this makes adding elements later a lot easier). I think the current status
is that it will use a preexisting raid 1 array with one element (not a
2 element array with one element failed), but not allow you to create one.