Home network backup solutions?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:15:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 13:26 -0500, Bill and Jan Klemme wrote:
> Hello folks,
> I am considering using Fedora and have downloaded R.8, but done nothing
> else yet.  Is there any email list I can go to that uses language more
> newbie-friendly?  I have no clue what you people are talking about...the
> terminology is super-proprietary and without a dictionary or years of
> experience I am totally lost.
>
> BTW I am not computer-illiterate.  My working career was IBM mainframe
> tech support.  I am still lost in here.  With all respect for what you
> all seem to know,  I need to go somewhere else to learn about this OS.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Additionally, reading these emails has given me the thought that I may
> have to become a Systems Programmer again just to keep my teeny desktop
> running.  Not an attractive proposition at this stage of the game....

Nah, I'm a complete idiot, after they left out line numbers in basic,
and manage to get by. Usually a simple reply stating that I don't get
something and someone will shift gears and reply in Non-Geek to explain.
It only takes several emails for us to figure out your user-level and
most will accommodate you, according to your needs. Saying that you
needs a "step-by-step" will suffice, and save ones inherent dignity.

The hardest thing to wrap around in a newbie's head is that everything
is a file, -somewhere- in the directories. Including memory and basement
processes (the /proc directory that doesn't exist when you turn off the
computer) and that drives aren't named A: B: C:

Say your first harddrive is a Windows machine is drive C. In a UNIX
system it is what it really is; a device (found in /dev for device along
with all your other hardware) and it's got a filename Scsi (sda for the
entire drive, sda1 or sda2 for it's partitions) in the /dev directory.
Most program settings are in /etc, user binaries are in /usr/bin, stuff
like that.

You'll get it figured out in no time. And, you may come to prefer things
that way! IMHO, it's beats Windows like a white-mouth mule.

Welcome! Enjoy! Expect to take a few lumps with the rest of us, this IS
the cutting edge and it moves along sometimes too swiftly for some of
us. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar