webcams that are good for fedora and openwrt

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Feb 24 17:03:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
>
> |   i'd like to crawl out of my sick bed today and wander down to future
> | shop and pick up a webcam to putz around with.  obviously, i want one
> | that's well-supported on fedora, but i'd also like one that's
> | compatible with installing openwrt on my asus wl500-gp router
>
> I know little about webcams.  Over the years, I've tried a couple and
> the results were not very good on Linux.

i did, in fact, pick up a logitech quickcam communicate STX on sale at
the local future shop -- regular $80 on for $30.

> Two things to note about this camera:
> - lots of pixels
> - UVC

now here's where i'm still unclear -- i read about the "UVC"
compatibility but, for the webcam i picked up, all i needed was to
download the "gspca" source:

http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

then build and load the module, and the "cheese" webcam utility worked
just fine.

> When I googled for Linux support for this camera, I came across this
> helpful article.
>   http://www.linuxlove.org/2007/11/12/linux-webcam-microsoft-lifecam-nx-6000-on-ubuntu-and-fedora/
> It also lists other UVC webcams.
>
> I'm inferring that UVC is the way to go.  I presume that it isn't
> proprietary like so many other camera protocols.  It is slightly
> worrisome that the driver isn't yet a standard part of distros.

and i'm still unclear on this "UVC" thing, but i'm willing to do some
reading on gspca versus UVC and so on.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.