on boot, access beyond end of device

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Feb 26 16:54:11 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote, On 02/25/2008 06:56 PM:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:45:23 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:07:20 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> Indeed they do not match.  I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to FC8.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike.
>>
>> I just looked at one of my other boxes, an FC7, which appears to have a
>> similar mismatch, but I have not had a problem with it (yet).
>>
>> [root at mbrc32 ~]# cat /proc/partitions
>> major minor  #blocks  name
>>
>>    8     0   78150744 sda
>>    8     1     104391 sda1
>>    8     2   78043770 sda2
>>  253     0   75956224 dm-0
>>  253     1    2031616 dm-1
>>

>> [root at mbrc32 ~]# df
>> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>>                       73575592  14177456  55600328  21% /
>> /dev/sda1               101086     18584     77283  20% /boot
>> tmpfs                   517536         4    517532   1% /dev/shm
>>

> Assumption: A) 4K inodes in the file system,
> B) /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is on dm-0 only.
> C) /proc/partitions is the correct thing to be comparing against.
>
> try confirming:
> tune2fs -l /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 |grep "Block count:"
> is equal to
> 75956224/4 = 18989056
>
> to be sure of the method look at
> tune2fs -l /dev/sda1|grep "Block count:"
> compared with:
> 104391/4 = 26097
>
> IIRC "Block count:" from tune2fs is how big the file system things the
> hard drive/volume group is.  IIRC the df data is skewed by the
> "Reserved block count" and possibly the Journal size.

Yes, but the df output should not be LARGER than the /proc/partitions
number.  It seems reasonable that it could/should be smaller.

So my wording of identifying a mismatch was poor.  Perhaps it should be
said that the df number if larger than the /proc/partitions number
indicates this type of problem.

Sorry for the confusion.  It was clear in my head when I wrote it, can't
you read my mind? :)