F8 Rescue Disk For Install

Tony Frame jaframe at net-yan.com
Tue Feb 26 18:52:18 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Haney" <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 27 February, 2008 2:01 AM
Subject: Re: F8 Rescue Disk For Install

> Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>      Dear friends,
>>
>>   I was planning to install F8 the same way I installed F7: Burn a
>> rescue disk on CD-R and then use it to install over the net. I can
>> burn CDs but not DVDs and I thought why burn several CDs if one is
>> enough (and I could not find a set of F8 installation CDs either).
>>
>>   But, I can not find an image for a F8 rescue CD. Where is it? Or do
>> I use the Live CD?
>>
>>   I checked the F-Project site, tried Google and browsed through old
>> mails from this list, but could not find a link.
>>
>>   Thanks!
>>
>>      Take care
>>      Oliver
>>

> The rescue disc is included with the F8 DVD torrent.  Since I torrent all
> my Fedora media, that's all I can say for certain.
>

> --
> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>

> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>
> --

If I recall correctly, I normally download the "boot.iso" image from mirror
(and arcitecture) of choice eg
http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Fedora/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/images/boot.iso

burn a CD, boot into the installer and proceed with installation over the
net.

Lot quicker to download the boot image rather than the rescue disc (which is
at :
http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Fedora/releases/8/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-8-i386-rescuecd.iso)

I actually find its better to download the DVD image with bittorent, verify
it, extract it into a web server directory on another machine on the LAN,
grab the boot.iso, burn a boot CD and then do the install from the local
HTTP source ... much quicker, less likley to time out and less onerous on
the mirrors.

Tony