OT: Problem reading 2GB SD card

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Feb 27 15:10:50 UTC 2008

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:19:28 -0500
>> Andrew Robinson <awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I doubt this is a Fedora problem. But I was hoping someone on the
>>> list could point me to either a solution or a search string.
>>
>> so you might want to give a separate
>> USB reader a shot. (This is with a 2GB SD card as well).
>>

> Bingo! Tried an external card reader and I was able to extract all the
> images with no problem. Thanks for the help. I feel much better about my
> camera and SD cards.
>
> Now here's an interesting question. Before I erased the first card, I
> made a byte copy of it (`dd`). When I mount the byte copy with the
> loop-back device, it says files are there (as it did on the card).
> However, I cannot access the files. Anyone know of any tricks I can use
> to access the files? I'd guess I would have to repair the vfat file system.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Robinson

You may want to take a look at losetup, especially the offset
option. I suspect the problem is that when you copy an entire SD
card, you get the partition table, as well as all the data. To
properly mount the date, you need to offset to the start of the
first partition. The losetup options can be used as mount options,
(man mount) but they are described better in the losetup man page.
(man losetup)

The other possibility is that you did not get a full copy of the
card, especially if you used the built-in reader instead of the USB
reader. You may want to check the file size.

Mikkel