[F8 i386] Drive mount locations change at startup.

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Feb 27 20:59:32 UTC 2008

Scott wrote:
> I've got 4 internal and two external hard drives.
>
> Every time I boot and log in I find at least one of my internal drives
>  mounts in a different directory than it had previously (the others may
> as well, but I've not yet noticed - read on).
>
> It's never the same directory (it's either "/media/disk"
> "/media/disk-1", or "/media/disk-2" or "/media/disk-3").
>
> I've got a symlink from a directory in ~/ to a subdirectory on one of my
> internal drives and it breaks with every boot.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? ;)
>
> How might I get my drives to mount in the same place every time?

Use the UUID in /etc/fstab instead of whatever you are using now. Some
people may use the filesystem label, but I'm always afraid that when or
if I move the f/s to a larger device the name will not change, and if I
plug in the old device it will mount. Using UUID will keep you from that
particular problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>