Burning CDs

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Feb 27 21:32:15 UTC 2008

Phil Bass wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:03:11 +0000, Phil Bass wrote:
>>

>>> After further investigation I found an alternative CD burning program
>>> called graveman and tried it. It hangs on startup for both ordinary
>>> users and root.
>>>
>>> Finally I tried to use the CD burning facility built in to Nautilus.
>>>
>> Have you tried "k3b" yet?
>>
> Haven't tried that because I run Gnome and I'd rather avoid a mixture of
> Gnome and KDE apps if possible. Why Gnome? Mainly because that's what we
> use at work and I work from home sometimes. Still, I can try it if
> that's the consensus on the list.

Once upon a time I wrote a tool to simplify multisession backup with
cdrecord. You can find it at http://www.tmr.com/~public and that will
avoid some of the learning curve (it's still command line, though).

Before you do anything else, try "cdrecord -atip dev=/dev/dvd" and see
if you can get access to the device. You can also use "-prcap" in place
of "-atip" just to see if you get data or a "can't find device" message.
My one remaining current FC7 machine is working "just fine" for burning,
I just converted some old Fedora interviews with various people from ogg
to DVD so I can take them with me along with a DVD player.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>