NetworkManager not showing wireless network

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:26:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 8, 2008 at 12:00 AM, hirantha <hirantha at securedpipe.net> wrote:
> Dear ALL,
>
>  I am having issue with the wireless connections are not showing with the NetworkMananager
>  (nm-applet). From the hardware level card is detected and everything is fine to me.
>

>  I can use wicd with no issue -- it is showing the card and could establish the wireless connection.

ME TOO!  I have exact same problem. It did not happen until February 1
or so.  Can manually spot wireless nets (/sbin/iwlist scan) and can
join them with manual approach, but nm-applet can't.

Be sure to turn off the "network" service in system-config-services.
It is not compatible with NetworkManager.  I noticed lately that, even
though I had turned it off in the past, it somehow got turned on
again.  So turn it off and restart your PC.

Still doesn't work for me, though.

Here's a detail that may matter.  I'm running the ipw3945 network
driver from http://ipw3945.sf.net.  I have never had luck with
iwl3945--doesn't join many networks.  Will shutdown PC and re-start
with the iwl3945 driver instead, see if nm-applet works.

PJ
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science