Printing error with cups 1.2.12

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 10:31:45 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 21:05 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> Since I yesterday installed cups 1.2.12 I have been unable to print
>> correctly on my HP LaserJer 2200d. It simply refuses to print portrait
>> everything comes out in landscape format. I suspect it is a bug or
>> could it be me who has forgotten something?
>
> You should probably say how you're trying to do that, and what with.

For example: lpr -o portrait image.jpg

> Some people try forcing the printer to print the wrong way via the
> printer configuration, rather than selecting the portrait printing
> option in the application that they're printing from.  That's not the
> way to do it.

I don't even know how to force the printer via the printer configuration. I have
set certain defaults like page size and the like and have used that since I
started using linux some 5 years ago.

BTW test print performs corectly and so does my homegrown rexx printing routine
which uses HP's PCL language and lpr -o raw to send the stream to the printer.
Also using my other printer, HP Photosmart 8450, prints correctly using cups. So
it seems to be cups' handling of laserjet print that is incorrect.

The problem makes printing of PDF documents, openoffice docs, firefox pages and
more impossible on the laser printer, which I use a lot especially with duplex
print.

--
Erik.