laptop into access point?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Fri Feb 29 15:04:10 UTC 2008

El Viernes, 29 de Febrero de 2008 15:49, Mark Greenbank escribió:
> Hello, I'm looking for a HOW TO that describes how to turn my laptop
> (Fedora Core 5, yes I know it's old) into a wireless access point. Does
> anyone have some references?

Well, you just need a couple of iptables rules, as long as you have your
wireless card properly configurated.
This what I'm using to use my laptop as a gateway to a wired network (notice
I'm turning it into an ad-hoc mode)

#!/bin/bash
iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig eth0 essid AP
iwconfig eth0 key s:yourkey
iwconfig eth0 channel 6
ifconfig eth0 192.168.70.1 up
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I FORWARD -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Hope this helps
Manuel