nv driver does not support VGA port?

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 29 16:05:46 UTC 2008

Just a quick note to say that the nvidia commercial driver works
great, and [fn] f4 now projects the screen out the VGA port.  The main
problem was that it seems to be hard to try different screen
resolutions (in order to fit the full laptop display onto the
projector's display).  I was using System / Administration / Display
to change the resolution.  After making it smaller as a test
(800x600), I could no longer set it to my normal higher resolution
(1280x800 - the option was simply no longer there in the Display
list), requiring me to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to restore the higher
resolution to the Modes list.  Ultimately, 1024x768 gives the best
overall result, although the bottom of the screen is cut off in that
case.  1280x800 has a big strip cut off on the right, and 800x600
won't sync with the projector at all. - jos