F8 drivers for ASUS EeePC?? -- SOLVED (I think)

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Fri Feb 29 17:58:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:28:06 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:53:11 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> Have you tried eeedora?
>>
>> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:eeedora

> 	Among others, yes. Debian, Ubuntu, several Puppies, etc., etc. --
> [....]

	Ah, the joys and perils of the cutting edge!

	I've just discovered a page at http://forum.eeeuser.com/
viewtopic.php?pid=139592 which I should've found before, and wish I had.

	It contains, among much else, the assurance that "The latest
Fedora 8 kernel (2.6.23.15-137.fc8) supports the wired ethernet interface
on the Eee PC.  No additional driver is needed.  Now if only I could say
the same for the Wifi..."

	That assurance is dated 2/12/08; the kernel I have on the EeePC
at present is much earlier -- probably one I burned a week after first
release.

	The respin DVD I got at the latest local installfest is dated
2/4/08; its Packages folder contains kernel-2.6.23.14-107.fc8.i586.rpm --
close. So close, in fact, that it couldn't resist a few more last Perils
of Pauline.

	It tried to upgrade, and got as far as (one guess!) the drivers.
It wanted me to choose, and I couldn't spot one.

	Then I noticed that I still had an empty 8 GB thumbstick
inserted. I didn't believe that would matter -- with Puppy, one there had
simply gotten me the choice whether to install to it or to the hard drive.

	But I rebooted, taking the thumbstick out as soon as its LED went
out. Lo and behold, it's doing it! I'm in process of upgrading now.

	Lish me wuck! Bushels, barrels, carloads of it! Wiv a wittle bit
o' bloomin' wuck, I can start configuring, even if only by ethernet
cable. And download a wireless driver, or maybe even get one, free as
usual, with my next update.

	Praise the developers with great praise!

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Evangelist
Fedora 8; Ubuntu 7.10; CentOS 5.1; Alpine 1.0, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6