how to install man pages?

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Feb 29 22:12:01 UTC 2008

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 28Feb2008 14:30, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>>I've two fc6 boxes that for whatever reason have different parts of the man
>>pages installed.
>

> Weird. Had damage?

Just brain ;D

>>One has the man pages for mdadm.conf(5) but none for mdadm.  The other has
>>man pages for mdadm.conf(5) and mdadm(8).  "man 8 mdadm" refers to mdadm(4)
>>which exists on neither.  Note that neither box is running a raid array!?
>>(%#*&!;D)
>>Can anybody enlighten me on how to install some/any/all man pages for
>>some/any/all applications?
>

> The easiest thing is to reinstall the "mdadm" package in this case.
> On my fc7 box it has all these pages:
>
>   [/u/cameron]finola*> rpm -qf $(which mdadm)
>   mdadm-2.6.2-4.fc7
>   [/u/cameron]finola*1> rpm -ql mdadm
>   /etc/rc.d/init.d/mdmonitor
>   /sbin/mdadm
>   /sbin/mdadm.static
>   /sbin/mdassemble.static
>   /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2
>   /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/COPYING
>   /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/ChangeLog
>   /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/TODO
>   /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/mdadm.conf-example
>   /usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.2/syslog-events
>   /usr/share/man/man4/md.4.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man5/mdadm.conf.5.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man8/mdadm.8.gz
>   /usr/share/man/man8/mdassemble.8.gz
>   /var/run/mdadm

I got ahead of my eyes.  There is no man4/mdadm.  It's man4/md.

As to how the two different installations ended up with different sets
of man pages I'm completely baffled.  I don't mess with the usr/share
parts of any of my systems.  The two different systems were installed
from the same set of remote mounted iso files, only different install
options were selected.  And there I'm even more baffled because the
rpm's contain the relevant man pages and each rpm should install the
same way.

Thanks VERY much for your help, Cameron.

:m)