installing f8/hang at 'loading ata_piix' PROGRESS but now 'ata1.00 exception .... frozen'

Mark Knoop mark at opus11.net
Fri Feb 1 13:45:37 UTC 2008

John Minson wrote:

> after fighting with the 'loading ata_piix driver' issue I managed to get
> fc8 installed via a usb dvd drive . the install went fine but now when I
> boot off the hd (sata) I eventually get
>
> ata1.00 exception emask 0x0 sactt serr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
>
> it then displays 'loading udev' and hangs
>
> once again this problem (or some variant there of) has been reported
> lots but no clear indication of what to do.
> I keep seeing references to the 'libpata' module having issues

I had similar issues (what is your hardware?) which I finally solved by
telling the installer which modules to load instead of relying on the
probe. I also have to use the 'noirqdebug' because of irq problems with
my motherboard bios.

Try appending the following to your install line:

module=ata_piix module=pata_jmicron module=ata_generic noirqdebug

and:

noirqdebug

to the kernel line in grub.
--