Playing DVD interfers with modem?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:34:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 09:59 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > When I play a video DVD the modem quits doing whatever it's doing.
> > Strange. I'm running 32bit FC7 on a system with a 64bit AMD 3200 and 2
> > gigs of memory. Both Xine and VLC exhibit the same behavior. I just
> > tried gmplayer and it does the same thing, but the sound has static.
> > That's weird, it never has before. Something else to fix. Sound on Xine
> > or VLC is perfect.
>
> Uh, are the modem and the IDE port the DVD sharing an IRQ or something?
>
> > So, how could playing a DVD foul up the modem? Is there some type of
> > streaming to the network that could grab the serial line or the ppp
> > session??
>
> I can think of two things at least...the sharing of an IRQ or some other
> hardware semaphore or simply the load put on the CPU by a soft modem.
> However, with an AMD 3200, I don't think that's the issue.

Lordy Rick, I'm an old BBS sysop from back when. I have a RS Robotics
external with all the bells and whistles in hardware, so I'm connected
only by a serial cable. I'm gonna check out your suggestion about the
IRQ though. I sure miss setting pin jumpers. Devices generally stayed
where you put 'em, IRQ wise. Here's /proc/interrupts

# more interrupts
           CPU0
  0:        181   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:      21093   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  7:          0   IO-APIC-edge      parport0
  8:          1   IO-APIC-edge      rtc
  9:          1   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:          4   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 14:      45395   IO-APIC-edge      libata
 15:          0   IO-APIC-edge      libata
 16:        986   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb1
 17:     122468   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb2
 18:          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb3
 19:          3   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb4
 20:      71311   IO-APIC-fasteoi   libata
 21:     566805   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ALi M5455, eth0
 22:    1327729   IO-APIC-fasteoi   nvidia
NMI:          0
LOC:    2874529
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

I don't see IRQ 3 or 4 listed for serial port. Do I have to gink with
uugetty or set serial? Is that the right place to look?? Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar