Question on Fedora's RPM of Mailmail and Sendmail

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Sat Feb 2 16:16:04 UTC 2008

Sendmail works.

Mailman works.

Mailman's wrapper under sendmail doesn't work.

What I get is:
> "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
>     (reason: 2)
>     (expanded from: <mailman at baron.benjammin.net>)

> Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
> executed as one of the following groups:
> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
> but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "mailnull".
> Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
> [mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
> or re-run configure providing the command line option:
> '--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.
> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

Now, I would normally know how to fix the problem - but I thought to myself..

Do the developers know that out of the "yum" box - Sendmail and Mailman as
RPM'd don't work with each other or am I missing a README somewhere.

I'm more than happy to recompile both programs, but that's bypassing the point
of using RPM's in the first place. It would be nice to see the RPM work, not
have to go recompile anyway.

So, I'm sure this is a common question, but this is the first problem I've had
making sense of a Fedora distribution and the included docs in the mailman
docs directory don't talk about how the "run as GID" settings for mailman
were set on compile.

Little help? (and thanks!)

  -Ben

--