Good bye

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:28:00 UTC 2008

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I'll never forget the bug report I filed with a repeatable (on my end)
> segmentation fault when running the grep command. Guess what was
> responsible? the nvidia driver.

Ummm, OK, code has bugs.  More news at 11...

 > Closed source kmods sometimes
> do funky things.

As opposed to?  I've had several cases where the stock fedora kernel
update would not boot at all on MPT scsi controllers.

> Let the *user* be responsible for breaking their machine by installing
> the driver. Then the issue is between the user and nVidia - not the user
> and Fedora.

Let's put this discussion off until all the bugs in the rest of the
system have been fixed.  Firewire is my poster child for the state of
the system drivers, but it doesn't make sense to point out someone
else's bugs until everything in bugzilla is closed.  Besides, there's a
good chance that the bug you saw was really cause by an interface change
on the kernel side.

> It is easy enough to get the drivers, it is very well documented on
> several blogs and websites.

What does that mean?

> Therefore, Fedora SHOULD wash their hands of
> kernel tainting modules.

Unless they'd like to have some users.

--
   Les Mikesell