Good bye

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 01:53:36 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Firewire is the right answer for audio, especially if you plan to move
> it around.  I'm too cheap for that so the only thing I've added is a
> USB sound adapter to have a software-selectable alternate output over
> copper SPDF to feed a receiver.  It doesn't specifically have a Mac
> driver but works as a standard USB audio device anyway.
Um... Has someone missed something here?  I keep an eye out on various
plug and wire types, because I like that sort of electronic stuff, and
last time I checked Apple has continued to change the USB and Firewire
HARDWARE PORTS with every few versions of their stuff.  In fact, I found
multiple rants from people who want to know why Apple is trying to give
themselves a leg up by using Microsoft's embrace & extend on the
hardware side instead of the software side.  And you complain because
the drivers don't work for a specific kernel version of Linux?  At least
the Linux guys aren't attempting to change the physical interface to
give their audio devices an advantage on the market...

Apple is a horrible example of a user-friendly company, because as of
late they've been learning the Microsoft technique of wresting extra
cash from users and giving themselves an advantage on system
development.  Every time I hear someone say Mac OSX is a "true UNIX" I
snicker, because generally running "real UNIX" programs in OSX requires
installing the compatibility layer, because by default OSX does not
support standard UNIX stuff; instead, they support specially rigged
programs designed to interface with Cocoa...