upgrading dual boot fedora - partitions

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Feb 3 15:24:43 UTC 2008

tns1 wrote:

> I have a dual boot XP + FC3 I am upgrading to FC8. Problem is I don't
> remember all those partition mysteries, and I don't want to stomp my XP
> install. I don't care if I preserve any of my FC3 files, I just thought
> an upgrade might be safer than a fresh install.

> So really three questions:
> How would I add partition labels if I really needed to?
> Do I really need to?

Yes.
You can use e2label to add labels to disks.
(You must use mkswap for the swap partition, I think.)
Then you have to modify /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf to use labels.

I'm a great fan of upgrading,
but even I would not try upgrading from FC-3 to Fedora-8.

Incidentally, save your MBR with
        dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr bs=512 count=1
Then you can re-install it (eg with Knoppix) if it all goes wrong.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366