totem, rhythmbox won't work without GNOME?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Sun Feb 3 13:20:42 UTC 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 05:04, Danny Yee wrote:
> Whenever I try to run totem or rhythmbox, it
> 	* changes my root window background (to a dark blue background I
> 		assume is the Fedora/GNOME default)
> 	* starts gnome-screensaver, gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-settings-daemon
> 		(which will cause my X session to hang hard if I don't
> 		kill gnome-screensaver, as it interacts badly with
> 		xscreensaver which I'm running.)
> 	* crashes firefox
>
> I'm not running GNOME, but a lightweight standalone window manager
> (9wm).  Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Is there any way
> to run totem, etc. without running GNOME?

I second this, it also happens when starting totem within KDE.

I start totem (accedentaly, since I never use it really), something starts
changing the background to the default blue picture, repeatedly, every 30
seconds or so. I open the KDE desktop settings, and my old background is
still considered to be "active", but it isn't what I see. I switch it off and
back on, apply, and KDE puts my background back on the screen. It doesn't
last long, though --- after several seconds it is changed again to default
blue picture.

I also see firefox to crash. Don't know about the screensaver, I use none.

Once totem has been run, this annoying bahavior stops if I logout and login
back, ie. restart KDE. But only until next run of totem.

Any help on this appreciated.

Best, :-)
Marko