SATA/ATA

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 3 18:21:01 UTC 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Can I run a SATA disk with an ATA controller?
No, you'll need a card, and if the bios on that mobo doesn't see the sata disk
by itself, the sata disk will not be able to be booted from.

>One of my disks is about to die,
>and I've been looking for a large - say 500GB or larger - disk,
>and all the ones I see seem to be SATA.
>
>Alternatively, is it reasonably easy
>to find and install a SATA controller in place of an ATA one?

Easy, but don't plan to boot from it.  I've tried 2 such cards now, one that
TigerDirect said would, but the mobo bios must have hooks, which apparently
the latest bios for my Biostar board doesn't have.  Here is the lspci -v on
the card I'm using now, with a 400GB deathstar:

01:0a.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3512 [SATALink/SATARaid]
Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
        I/O ports at 9400 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 9800 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 9c00 [size=8]
        I/O ports at a000 [size=4]
        I/O ports at a400 [size=16]
        Memory at e6004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 50000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
        Kernel driver in use: sata_sil
        Kernel modules: sata_sil

Like you, I'm about to build another box WITH all this stuff. Bring $$$$.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)