Yet another sound problem with F8/Gnome

Frank Chiulli frankc.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:40:48 UTC 2008

I did a fresh install of Fedora 8 with the exception of my home
directory which is on it's own drive.

If I boot into level 3 and logon, sound works.  'aplay -l' lists my
sound card - Sound Blaster Live! Value.  If I do any of the following,
I hear sound:
aplay -D hw:0.0 /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
aplay -D dsp0 /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
aplay -D dmixed /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav

I have a .asoundrc file that looks like this:
# Copied fro http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17787

pcm.dmixed {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        #format "S32_LE"
        #periods 128
        rate 44100
    }
}

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixed"
}

# This following device can fool some applications into using pulseaudio
pcm.dsp1 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "pulse"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

# Part II directly from Pulseaudio Wiki

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

# Optional, set defaults

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

If I next I do: 'startx 2>&1 startx.log', I see the following:
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dmix
process 3678: dbus_shutdown() called but connections were still live.
This probably means the application did not drop all its references to
bus connections.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

** (gnome-session:3666): WARNING **: Failed to start sound.

Of course, I get no sounds.

'aplay -l' yields:
aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

In case something was left over from the previous install in my home
directory, I've renamed the following files:
.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome2
.gnome2_private

Does anyone have any idea how I can get sound to work under Gnome?

Thanks,
Frank