Good bye

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Feb 4 10:29:20 UTC 2008

Kelly Miller wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> That should be the upstream author's designation, shouldn't it?  Does
>> the mozilla group still even admit that firefox 1.5 exists?  What
>> about the beta dovecot that was shipped in RHEL4 and never updated to
>> the release version?  Complaints about the old bugs kept showing up in
>> the upstream mailing list years after the stable release, confusing
>> everyone.
> Wait, wait, wait.  You were complaining about Fedora being too far ahead
> and being unstable, and now you're knocking RHEL for being too far
> behind?  What exactly do you want?
>
> I'm starting to think that the guys who said you simply want a distro
> custom-tailored to your exact specs are right.  What would satisfy you,
> a distro with all the latest versions that doesn't have any bugs in it
> or something?

If that's really what he wants, he can have it mow:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

;)

I've actually gone through the project a couple time (first time was
actually on a PPC - using Yellow Dog as the initial OS) - I probably
should again at some point, it's a great learning (and re-learning)
experience, though it is too time consuming to keep it up to patch level
for normal use for any length of time.

If he really wants RHEL/CentOS with FireFox/Thunderbird 2 - I'll give a
shameless plug:

http://www.pennywasted.info/centos/yjl.php

I have a small repo dedicated just for FireFox/Thunderbird updates to
CentOS 5.x (FireFox and Thunderbird are rebuilds of F8 src.rpm's - it
also has rebuilds of the two RHEL/CentOS rpm's that break due to
gecko-libs change)

Please note - FireFox 2 is a little wonky on my low memory machines (384
MB laptop and 512MB desktop) it crashes a lot - the binary tarball
release from Mozilla is much more stable (but because it is built
against a different libstdc++ than icedtea, the icedtea java plugin
doesn't load in their release)

On my 2GB x86_64 machine I haven't experienced crashing. Me thinks the
crashing on the low memory x86 is caused by a memory leak that my higher
mem machine can handle better, but I haven't fully investigated.

Thunderbird 2 works great on low mem machines - other than it can't read
local system mail. But that's what alpine in EPEL is for.