A response to criticism about any Distribution.

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 14:47:13 UTC 2008

Hi
My response to some heavy criticism.

 I read comments comparing Fedora and UBUNTU.
 I agree that there are distributions that are superior to
 Fedora for some desktop work. My desktop systems are  XP (just because it's
 Microsoft, does not mean it is bad), PCLINOS (all multimedia worked out of
 the box), UBUNTU (Not quite as good as PCLINOS for working out of the
 box with all multimedia), Fedora 7 and Fedora 8. For me, the distributions, for me,
 are tools. If one tool does not work, I use another. I am getting less
 emotionally attached to any one distribution.

And I tend to agree about poor QC with Fedora.  Ever since Fc4 I
 have been stating that testing is more then just testing the added modules, the
 minimum efforts are that testing is done with an NxN set of tests, where N
 is the number of modules in the distribution.

Between FC4 and FC8, I would conjecture that N is going to (2N) and therefore
 there is a requirement for 4 times as many tests.  Since Fedora insists
 on 6 month releases, somethings have to be shipped broken.

I think that all distributions should go from a new release every six months to one every nine.
Fully tested Minor release enhancements could be supplied between one Main release and the other,
as it is done now.

My preference for a solid internet tool is still linux with firefox.

Regards from Canada.

Leslie